My current research focuses on dependable heterogeneous wireless networks and dealing with the inherently massive uncertainty issues. I am also fond of fundamental group communication primitives such as reliable broadcasting. Lately however, if it’s interesting enough, I’m devoting some time to it, and this includes consumer mesh networks, energy efficient green networks and indoor localization.
- SYSTEM AND AUTOMATIC METHOD FOR CAPTURE, READING AND DECODING BARCODE IMAGES FOR PORTABLE DEVICES HAVING DIGITAL CAMERAS. US 12/818951. Filed Jun. 2010. Multiple Authors.
- SYSTEM FOR ORGANIZING AND GUIDING A USER IN THE EXPERIENCE OF BROWSING DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS BASED ON CONTEXTS. US 12/981,643. Filed Dec. 2010. Multiple Authors.
- AUTOMATIC FOOD RECOGNITION METHOD USING PORTABLE DEVICES HAVING DIGITAL CAMERAS. US 12/981,634. Filed Dec. 2010. Multiple Authors.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai, RAJU, Madhanmohan and AGRAWAL, D. P. Accurate Distance Estimation Using Fuzzy based combined RSSI/LQI Values in an Indoor Scenario: Experimental Verification. Network Protocols and Algorithms Journal, Special Issue on 2nd IEEE Smart Communication Protocols and Algorithms, vol. 4, No. 4, pages 174-199, 2012. DOI: 10.5296/npa.v4i4.2173.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai and AGRAWAL, D. P. Enhancing Sensor Accuracy using Evidential Reasoning and Fuzzy Logic. Submitted to the 9th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS 2012). 2012.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai, et. al., Reliability Tradeoffs for Energy Efficient Wireless Networks. Accepted for publication in the IEEE International Workshop on Mobile Ad-Hoc Wireless Networks iWMANET 2012, conjointly organized with iCOST 2012 in Avignon/France. 2012.
- MOSTAFA, A., et. al., QoSHVCP: Hybrid Vehicular Communications Protocol with QoS Priorization for Safety Applications. ISRN Communications and Networking, vol. 2012, Article ID 149505, 14 pages, 2012. doi:10.5402/2012/149505.
- RAJU, Madhanmohan, OLIVEIRA, Talmai and AGRAWAL, D. P. A practical distance estimator through distributed RSSI/LQI processing - An experimental study. Accepted for publication at the 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Smart Communication Protocols and Algorithms - part of ICC 2012. 2012.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai, MAHADEVAN, Srisudha and AGRAWAL, D. P. Using Minimization of Maximal Regret for Interface Selection in a Heterogeneous Wireless Network. Accepted for publication at the 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Smart Communication Protocols and Algorithms - part of ICC 2012 . 2012.
- HELMUTH, M. et. al., Wireless Sensor Networks and Percussion Tracking: Ocean Drum. Accepted for publication at the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC) 2012, demonstraction track. 2012.
- OLIVEIRA, L. et. al., Food identification by multi-ranking and context-aware based decision. Submitted to Elsevier's Pattern Recognition journal. 2011.
- MOSTAFA, A., et. al., A V2X-based approach for reduction of delay propagation in Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks. In: Proceeding of the International Workshop on Seamless Connectivity in Vehicular Networks (SCVN 2011), part of the 11th IEEE International Conference on ITS Telecommunications (ITST 2011), Saint-Petersburg, Russia, August 23-25, 2011.
- LAGE, Ana L., et. al., Context of Use on Mobile Devices. Part I - Scope, Validation and Architecture. Submitted to Elsevier's Applied Ergonomics: Human Factors in Technology and Society journal. 2011.
- HELMUTH, M., et. al., “Water Birds: Compositional Collaboration with Clarinets, Wireless Sensors, and RTcmix,” recommended for inclusion in SEAMUS 2011 , and accepted for publication in the Journal of the Society for Electroacoustic Music . 2011.
- SINGORIA, Rekha; OLIVEIRA, Talmai and AGRAWAL, D. P. Reducing Unnecessary Handovers: Call Admission Control Mechanism for Handover between WiMAX Macrocells and Femtocells. Accepted for publication at the IEEE Globecom 2011 (Acceptance Rate 36.61%). 2011.
- SINGORIA, Rekha; OLIVEIRA, Talmai. Reducing Unnecessary Handovers: Call Admission Control Mechanism for Handover between WiMAX Macrocells and Femtocells, Technical Report No. 002.12.2010, 2010.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai. MAHADEVAN, Srisudha and AGRAWAL, D. P. Handling Network Uncertainty in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of INFOCOM 2011. pp. 2390-2398, April 2011. (Acceptance rate: 15.96%)
- 2010 University of Cincinnati Graduate School Report. “Sound Science”. pp 22-23
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai and AGRAWAL, D. P. Stochastic Approximate Dynamic Programming with Link Estimation for High Quality Path Selection in Wireless Mesh Networks. In: Workshop on Complex and Communication Networks (CCNET 2010) in conjunction with the IEEE Globecom 2010, 2010, Miami, Florida, USA. p. 430-434.
- HELMUTH, M., et. al. WIRELESS SENSOR NETWORKS AND COMPUTER MUSIC, DANCE AND INSTALLATION IMPLEMENTATIONS. In: Proceedings of 2010 International Computer Music Conference, New York, NY. 2010.
- LOUHA, K.; JUN, J.; OLIVEIRA, Talmai and AGRAWAL, D. P. Exploring Load Balancing in Heterogeneous Networks by Rate Distribution. International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communications Systems (IJAACS). Vol. 3, No. 3, pp 284-307, 2010.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai Brandão de ; CHI, Y.. Time Synchronization Algorithms for Randomly Deployed Ad-hoc Sensor Networks, Technical Report No. 001.06.2009, 2009.
- LOUHA, K.; JUN, J.; OLIVEIRA, Talmai and AGRAWAL, D. P. Exploring Load Balancing in Heterogeneous Networks by Rate Distribution. International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communications Systems (IJAACS). 1st place in the 4th Annual ECE & CS Poster Competition.
- 2009 University of Cincinnati Graduate School Report. “Technology in Tune with Art: a Computer and Music partnership for UC makes for a Sound education” Cover story.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai Brandão de ; COSTA, V. F. ; GREVE, F. G. P. . On the Behavior of Broadcasting Protocols for MANETs Under Omission Faults Scenarios. Lecture Notes in Computer Science , v. 4746, p. 142-159, 2007.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai Brandão de ; GREVE, F. G. P. . Boosting the Reliability of Deterministic Broadcasting Protocols for MANETs. In: Workshop on Dependable Application Support for Self-Organizing Networks (DASSON 2007) in conjunction with the 37th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, 2007, Edinburgh, UK. Supplemental Volume of the Proceedings of the 37th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks , 2007. v. 1. p. 7-12.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai Brandão de ; GREVE, F. G. P. . The Node Reliability Approach to Broadcasting in Manets: Raising Reliability With Low End-to-End Delay. In: The Fourth IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS 2007), 2007, Pisa, Italy. Proceedings of the Fourth IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems , 2007.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai Brandão de ; COSTA, V. F. ; GREVE, F. G. P. ; SCHNITMAN, L. . Evaluating the Impact of Faults on Broadcasting Protocols for MANETs. In: WTF 2006 VII Workshop de Testes e Tolerância a Falhas , 2006, Curitiba, Paraná. VII Workshop de Testes e Tolerância a Falhas, em conjunto com 24o Simpósio Brasileiro de Redes de Computadores. Porto Alegre : SBC – Sociedade Brasileira de Computação, 2006. v. 1. p. 49-60.
- OLIVEIRA, Talmai Brandão de ; GREVE, F. G. P. . On Augmenting the Reliability of Broadcasting Protocols for Scalable MANETs. In: 5th International Information and Telecommunication Technologies Symposium (I2TS 2006), 2006, Cuiabá, Mato Grosso. Proceedings of the 5th International Information and Telecommunication Technologies Symposium (I2TS 2006) , 2006. v. 1. p. 22-29.
- Title: ( – From the table of contents on, it’s all in English) The Reliability of Broadcasting Protocols for Mobile Ad-hoc Networks
- Abstract: A mobile ad-hoc network (MANET) consists of a group of mobile devices (also called nodes) that are capable of communication restricted to their wireless transmission range. Ad-hoc networks are making a new set mobile applications possible by combining computing power, wireless communication capabilities and specialized actuators and sensors. Broadcasting refers to the process by which one node sends messages to all other nodes in the network. It is an essential operation, since it may be used to collect global information, to support addressing algorithms and to help routing protocols. Ensuring reliable communication between nodes, however, is still a major challenge in MANETs due to a large number of problems such as node failures and transient network partitions. But in spite of the importance of the broadcasting primitive, not so much attention has been devoted to reliability requirements beyond best-effort.This work studies the broadcasting problem in MANETs. Existing solutions are able to deal with mobility, congestion and even collisions, but only when under a fail-stop failure model. Unfortunately this model does not adequately represent real scenarios of faults such as link failures, temporary network partitions, topology changes and momentary node failures. Therefore in this work we evaluate — through the aid of simulation experiments — how well broadcasting protocols behave under a more realistic failure model characterized by omission faults. The study conducted here shows that most protocols are highly impacted by failures and are not capable of maintaining high delivery rates. Some even exhibit coverage levels that are unreasonable to expect from broadcasting protocols when placed in such a scenario. As a result of the study conducted, a new mechanism that helps to enhance the capability of broadcasting algorithms to deal with these kinds of faults is proposed. By relying on the mechanism, nodes are able to identify neighboring links that are more reliable prior to transmission. The proposed solution is capable of ensuring good delivery rates, in spite of failures, while maintaining relatively low end-to-end delays. Simulation results demonstrate its efficacy.